I think you’ll love this crochet cotton tote bag that is made with simple shapes and can be customized with your favorite colors for summer vibes or a solid color to carry every day!
The Miami Cotton Tote was inspired by one of my favorite Nine West tote bags that I would carry full of notebooks and other essentials when heading to campus. Based on the color of the Ahoy Ombre, my husband said that it reminded him of his hometown’s NFL team, the Miami Dolphins, so the tote got a name before it was finished!
You’ll enjoy the texture created with rows that protude from the surface, and using circular shapes to create this tote. You can choose to create 1, 2 or no pockets when assembling the pieces, as well as an option to create the bottom of the bag, if not using a wood bottom.
Whether you use an ombre yarn with coordinating solid colors, a striping yarn, or one color, you’re sure to turn heads when carrying the Miami Cotton Tote.
You can choose to use any comparable worsted weight yarn, but using a 100% cotton yarn will help it holds it shape.
P.S. This tote is large enough to hold 2 cones of cotton, and 3 skeins of fingering weight yarn. 😄
*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links to products that I use, and think you will enjoy using too. Should you decide to use any such link, I will earn a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting this small business.
- Lily Sugar n’ Cream Cone (100% cotton, 706 yards / 645 meters, 14 ounces / 400 grams): Ahoy Ombre (Color A), 1 cone or 308 yds /281.64 m, 6.1 oz
- Lily Sugar n’ Cream Super Size (100% cotton, 200 yards / 184 meters, 4 oz / 113 g): Coral Rose (Color B) and Aquamarine (Color C), 1 skein each or 110 yds/ 100.58 m
- Additional 140 yds or 3 oz of yarn for making the crochet bottom
- Hook US G+/7 (4.5 mm) and H/8 (5.00 mm) or size needed to meet gauge
- 17 in. Wood Oval Bottom
- Yarn needle
- 6 stitch marker
- Measuring tape
Bottom: 14 hdc = 4 in (10cm), 7 rows = 2.5 in (6.5 cm)
Half Circle: 8 rows of sc = 2 in (5 cm), prior to blocking
- Crochet Bottom: 13.5 in (34.5 cm) x 5 in. (13 cm) wide
- Half Circle: 22 in (56 cm) diameter x 11 in. (28.5 cm) height without edging
- Strap: 22 in (56 cm)
- Ch: chain
- sl st: slip stitch
- sc: single crochet
- hdc: half double crochet
- dc: double crochet
- CSDC: Chainless double crochet
- sc2tog: single crochet 2 together
- sc3tog: single crochet 3 together
- BL: back loop
- FL: front loop
- yo-slst: yarn over slip stitch
- YO: yarn over
- M: stitch marker(s)
SPECIAL STITCHES & TECHNIQUES
- Yo-slst: YO, insert hook in next st, YO, pull through all loops
- Pattern is written US terms.
- Read the entire pattern before beginning.
- Pattern is worked in 4 sections: Bottom, Joining Bottoms, Half Circle and Edging, Assembly, and Strap
- Beginning ch 1 does not count as first st
- Instructions are included for making a bottom, if you decide to not use a wood bottom.
- If a wood bottom is being used, begin following Instructions at Half Circle.
- For the color changes, Color A will be carried at the end of the row throughout the pattern, unless otherwise instructed. The other colors will be fastened off, unless otherwise instructed.
- Blocking is required to create the final shape of the half circles.
- Purse strap can be shorter or longer, based on preference.
- A schematic is included to demonstrate the shapes and sizes.
- Picture tutorials are provided at end of pattern for completing the row after a row of yo-slst and assembly.
Grab the ad-free PDF
Want more crochet bags?
Pin it for Later
Want to talk about yarn goodness, crochet tips, and exclusive weekly deals? Join my Facebook Group, Creations By Courtney Community.
Join my newsletter for sneak peeks, crochet tips, and more. HERE
Please use #CreationsByCourtney on social media when sharing your projects.
This pattern is not to be duplicated or resold, and not to be reproduced commercially. You may sell finished products on Etsy, at farmers markets, and craft fairs, but please credit Creations By Courtney as the pattern’s author.