Are you tired of using ordinary dishcloths that lack style and personality? Well, get ready to add a touch of creativity to your kitchen with a fascinating tunisian crochet dishcloth!
In this blog post, we will dive into the captivating technique of tunisian knit stitch and tunisian knit stitch purled, and explore how it can transform an ordinary crochet dishcloth into a true work of art. Whether you’re a seasoned crochet enthusiast or a beginner looking for a fun project, this Tunisian crochet dishcloth is sure to bring a burst of texture and joy to your daily chores. Plus, we’ll share some creative ideas on how to use this versatile dishcloth beyond just cleaning. So grab your crochet hook and let’s get started on this exciting Tunisian crochet adventure!
*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links to products that I use, and think you will enjoy using too. Should you decide to use any such link, I will earn a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting this small business.
Uses for a Crochet Dishcloth
- Decorative Kitchen Accessories: Crochet dishcloths and washcloths can be used as decorative kitchen accessories. Hang them over the handle of your oven or display them in a decorative bowl on your countertop. Choose a vibrant color or variegated color that complements your kitchen decor to add a touch of charm to your space.
- Eco-Friendly Cleaning Tools: Crochet dishcloths and washcloths are not only beautiful but also practical for everyday use. They are reusable and can be easily washed, making them eco-friendly alternatives to disposable sponges or paper towels. Use them for washing dishes, wiping countertops, or cleaning surfaces around your home. They are gentle enough to use on delicate items like glassware while still providing effective cleaning.
- Spa-Like Exfoliating Experience: Crochet washcloths can also be used as exfoliating tools during your skincare routine. The textured surface of the tunisian crochet stitches helps to gently scrub away dead skin cells, leaving your skin feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. Pair the washcloth with your favorite facial cleanser or body wash for a spa-like experience at home. Remember to wash the washcloth after each use to keep it hygienic.
These are just a few ideas to get you started, but the possibilities are endless. Get creative and explore different patterns, colors, and textures to make your crochet dishcloths and washcloths unique and personalized to your taste. The Winter Washcloth Series Blog Hop and Bundle is a great place to find 30 more crochet washcloth patterns. Find more information below about this fun crochet event, and how to get a free copy of this crochet pattern ad-free PDF on January 16, 2024..
For a crochet washcloth or crochet dishcloth, you need a sturdy fiber that can handle frequent washing and friction. Cotton is best suited, as it’s a natural fiber without any irritants to one’s skin.
A second great option is a cotton and polyester blend, like the Premier Home Cotton used to make this sample of the Tunisian Net Dishcloth. As an 85% cotton and 15% polyester blend, it feels very similar to 100% cottons but with less fuzz.
“Courtney, what fuzz are you talking about?”
Some cotton yarns are spun from short staples, meaning that the raw fiber is shorter pieces and more pieces have to be spun together to create the entire skein. The short staples can lead to “fuzz” or shedding. The polyester adds strength to the cotton fibers for a sturdy yarn for crochet washcloths that will hold up for many uses.
- Premier Home Cotton, #4 worsted weight (85% cotton, 15% polyester; 140 yds/ 128 m; 2.8 oz/ 80 g): Peach x 1 skein or 64.75 yds / 59.4 m
- US K (6.5 mm) tunisian hook or hook to meet gauge
- Yarn needle
- Measuring tape
13.5 stitches x 13.5 rows = 4”x 4” [10 cm x 10 cm]
8″ wide x 8″ long [ 20.5 cm x 20.5 cm]
FwdP: forward pass
FO: fasten off
RetP: return pass
Sl st: slip stitch
Tks: tunisian knit stitch
Tks purled: tunisian knit stitch purled
Tss: tunisian simple stitch
YO: yarn over
SPECIAL STITCHES & TECHNIQUES
Last St (counts as tss): insert hook under both loops from front to back, YO, pull up a loop
RetP: YO, pull through one loop (ch 1), *YO, pull through 2 loops, rep from * to end
Tks: insert hook from front to back through the center of next vertical bar, YO, pull up a loop
Tks purled: with yarn in the front, insert hook from front to back through the center of next vertical bar, pull yarn up and over to the back, YO, pull up a loop
- Pattern is written in US terms.
- Read entire pattern before beginning.
- The first loop on the hook counts as the first st.
- Always sk 1st vertical bar.
- Do not turn work.
- Each row is completed with a FwdP and RetP.
Purchase the ad-free PDF from your favorite pattern shop
Don’t forget to join the Creations By Courtney Community for CALs, crochet tips, and yarnie fun.
Foundation Row: insert hook in 2nd ch from hook, YO, pull up a loop, *insert hook in next st, YO, pull up a loop. RetP. 28 tss
Row 1: *Tks in next st, 1 tks purled in next st, rep from * to end, last st. RetP. 13 tks, 13 tks purled, 2 tss
Row 2: *Tks purled in next st, tks in next st, rep from * to end, last st. RetP. 13 tks purled, 13 tks, 2 tss
Next Rows: Rep Row 1-2 until desired length.
Bind Off: Sl st in each vertical bar and last st, FO.
- Spray block to straighten sides.
- Weave in ends.
Let’s make the Tunisian Net Crochet Dishcloth together!
You may enjoy these patterns too
Pin it for Later
Winter Washcloth Blog Hop
Do you enjoy the freshness of the new year?
I do! It’s a time to focus on new goals and continuing goals from the previous year, especially in learning something new. The Winter Washcloth Blog Hop by Two Brothers Blankets is a great opportunity to learn something new.
Throughout January, you can download 31 crochet patterns featuring various shapes, techniques and stitches to create quite the collection for your kitchen and bathroom. If 31 seems like too many for your home, make several to include in home spa kits to gift.
Each day, you can download the featured pattern for free by visiting Two Brothers Blanket to get the coupon code, and then head to the designer’s website/ blog. If you don’t like the hopping part, then you can purchase the Winter Washcloth Pattern Bundle!
As the featured designer for January 16, 2024, you can download the Tunisian Net Dishcloth for free by following the steps below:
To download a copy of the Tunisian Net Dishcloth PDF, refer to the instructions below
- Click “Download the Pattern Here!”
- Enter your name and email address.
- Click “Complete Order”
- Click on the hyperlink to download the pattern automatically to your device.
- You’ll also receive an invoice by email with the link to access the PDF for ONE WEEK ONLY. Make sure you save the PDF to your device of choice.
Want to talk about yarn goodness, crochet tips, and exclusive weekly deals? Join my Facebook Group, Creations By Courtney Community.
Join my newsletter for sneak peeks, crochet tips, and more. HERE
Use #CreationsByCourtney on social media when sharing your projects.
This pattern is not to be duplicated or resold, and not to be reproduced commercially. You may sell finished products on Etsy, at farmers markets, and craft fairs, but please credit Creations By Courtney as the pattern’s author.