*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links to products that I use, and think you will enjoy using too. Should you decide to use any such link, I will earn a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting this small business.
OMG!! I’m so excited to share this design with you all!
The Lacy Transformation Crochet Top started as an idea over a year ago when I saw a knitted top that looked super comfy for layering. Of course, I had to make a crochet version but didn’t want it to be too thick or made with yarn too thin. I was hoping to capture the same looseness, but I think the design would not have been as fabulous with that much positive ease.
When Lion Brand had an amazing sale, I jumped on the Vanna’s Glamour, which I hadn’t used in years! It was so hard to choose one jewel tone. I decided to choose Sapphire, which is a GORGEOUS shade of blue and my birthstone!
As a sport weight yarn, it seems thin to work with but it’s needed to capture the desire drape in this design. The testers used cotton yarn for their tops, and both stated that this is one of their FAVORITE makes so far!! 🥳 That compliment made my designer heart flip for joy.
This pattern was tech edited by Tiffany of Crafty Cub Crochet and tested by Christine, Roeska and Katie. These ladies are amazing!
The Lacy Transformation Crochet Top is a size-inclusive garment to fit 9 sizes, X-Small through 5X-Large. This top was designed to have four inches of positive ease, which means that you can choose a smaller or larger size to change the fit and finished look. You can also adjust the length to your preference. There’s an awesome stitch chart included in the ad-free PDF.
Ways to Wear
I’ve come up with 9 different ways to wear this versatile piece. If you create more ways, be sure to share in the comments!
- Wear as a cowl around the neck
- With longer section covering your midriff, allow neck fall forward to make a cowl.
- With longer section covering your midriff, and pull fabric at front towards the neck to create a drape in the back.
- With longer section covering your midriff, and roll the top down over the shoulders.
- With longer section covering your midriff, and pull down on one shoulder or take one arm out for a one shoulder look.
- With longer section covering your midriff, tuck the front inside and pull down over bust to create a victorian/sweetheart neckline.
- With shorter section covering your midriff, put arms through arm openings, and create a hood with the longer section.
- With shorter section covering your midriff, create all of the same looks above.
- Pull top down to waist and fold the top section over to wear as a skirt coverup.
- Lion Brand Vanna’s Glamour (96% acrylic, 4% other, 202 yards / 185 meters, 1.75 ounces / 50 grams): Sapphire, 4 (5, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 9, 10) skeins
- Hook US G+/7 (4.50 mm) or hook needed to obtain gauge
- Yarn Needle
- Stitch Marker, 2
- Measuring Tape
Approx. 2 repeats = 3.5”, 9 pattern rows = 4”
- X-Small: Finished Bust: 32.5” (82.5 cm); Finished Length: 28.5” (72.4 cm)
- Small: Finished Bust: 36.5” (92.71 cm); Finished Length: 28.5” (72.4 cm)
- Medium: Finished Bust: 40” (101.6 cm); Finished Length: 28.5” (72.4 cm)
- Large: Finished Bust: 44” (111.7 cm); Finished Length: 28.5” (72.4 cm)
- X Large: Finished Bust: 48.5” (123.2 cm); Finished Length: 29.5” (74.9 cm)
- XX Large: Finished Bust: 52.5” (133.3 cm); Finished Length: 29.5” (74.9 cm)
- 3X Large: Finished Bust: 56” (142.2 cm); Finished Length: 29.5” (74.9 cm)
- 4X Large: Finished Bust: 60” (152.4 cm); Finished Length: 31” (78.7 cm)
- 5X Large: Finished Bust: 64” (162.5 cm); Finished Length: 31” (78.7 cm)
- Ch: chain
- sl st: slip stitch
- sc: single crochet
- dc: double crochet
- fsc: foundation single crochet
- CSDC: chainless starting double crochet
- sk: skip
- st(s): stitch(es)
- YO: yarn over
SPECIAL STITCHES & TECHNIQUES
- CSDC: pull up a tall loop, holding loop in place and wrap yarn around hook (yarn over), insert hook in first st, YO, pull up a loop, [YO, pull through 2 loops] twice
- Join fsc: For final fsc, yarn over insert hook through foundation chain of last st made, yarn over and pull up loop (2 loops on hook), insert hook through next st (this attaches the fsc), yarn over and pull through st and 1 loop (2 loops on hook), yarn over, pull through two loops. Continue with standard sc as instructed in pattern.
- First fsc: insert hook in the side of last dc made, YO, pull up a loop, YO, pull through 1 loop (ch made), YO, pull through 2 loops
- First dc after fsc: insert hook in ch of last fsc, YO, pull up a loop (2 loops on hook), insert hook in next st, YO, pull up a loop (3 loops on hook), [YO, pull through 2 loops] twice
- Pattern is written US terms.
- Read the entire pattern before beginning.
- Pattern is made in two parts: body and cowl
- Garment has 4 – 4.5 inches (10 -11.43 cm) of positive ease.
- Garment is worked from the bottom up in turned rounds.
- Length can be adjusted by creating fewer or more rows in a multiple of 3 to maintain the stitch pattern.
- A Schematic and Stitch Chart are listed at the end of the pattern for your reference. Refer to the schematic for sizing, and the Stitch Chart for the repeats.
Grab the ad-free PDF
Pin it for Later
Want to talk about yarn goodness, crochet tips, and exclusive weekly deals? Join my Facebook Group, Creations By Courtney Community.
Join my newsletter for sneak peeks, crochet tips, and more. HERE
Please use #CreationsByCourtney on social media when sharing your projects.
This pattern is not to be duplicated or resold, and not to be reproduced commercially. You may sell finished products on Etsy, at farmers markets, and craft fairs, but please credit Creations By Courtney as the pattern’s author.