The Peel Out Crochet Set includes a twisted ear warmer and boot cuffs, so you’re ready for any adventure this fall and winter. Besides, some of the best adventures happen when the weather cools, such as hiking to see the fall foliage, sitting by a fire roasting marshmallows with friends, or skiing down a mountainside.
The Peel Out Crochet Set uses one of my favorite stitch patterns, the Lemon Peel stitch, which is a fun and simple repeat of single and double crochets.
For the ear warmer, I chose to make a möbius style, like the Lemon Peel Mobius Cowl. A möbius is so much fun to make because of the one twist that is made with the first row, so each round is worked along the top and bottom before joining. I also love foundation stitches, and I think using foundation stitches adds to the overall look of a mobiles accessory, such as these ear warmers. And if you’re new to making a möbius, an ear warmer is a great way to get started with a quick project.
For the Peel Out boot cuffs, you’ll be working in the round but without a twist. It starts with a few rounds of simple ribbing, and then the fun texture of the lemon peel stitch. The instructions are for one size that will fit many legs, but are easy to adjust to fit any ankle or calf for any style or height of boots.
If you’re loving the texture created by the Lemon Peel stitch, definitely check out the following crochet patterns:
- LP Hoodie
- Lemon Peel Mobius Cowl
- Lemon Peel Mittens
- Lemon Peel Fingerless Gloves
- Rainy Day Hat
- Hooded Poncho
I worked with King Cole Big Value Aran in Ocean for the Peel Out Crochet Set, which was provided as a North American Brand ambassador. Big Value Aran is a worsted weight, premium acrylic yarn that comes in a generous skein of 257 yards per skein.
I was so excited to get my hook into this yarn, as it’s a tweed with flecks of color created by small tufts of fiber. If a tweed yarn doesn’t scream coziness, then I don’t know what else would. It really is a premium acrylic that was easy to work with, and I didn’t have any splitting of the yarn.
Keep scrolling for 24 Days of Quickies with Marly Bird and Friends!
*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links to products that I use, and think you will enjoy using too. Should you decide to use any such link, I will earn a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting this small business.
- King Cole Big Value Aran, (100% premium acrylic, 257 yds/ 235 m; 3.5 oz/ 100 g): Ocean x 1 skein
- Hook US H8 / 5.00 mm or hook to meet gauge I used my Furls Crochet turquoise Odyssey Hook.
- Yarn needle
- Row counter or stitch marker
12 sts in pattern x 12 rows in pattern = 4” x 4” [10 cm x 10 cm]
- 5.75” tall x 12.5” circumference
- 3.5” tall x 20” circumference
- Ch: chain
- CSDC: chainless starting double crochet
- Dc: double crochet DC ?
- Fdc: foundation double crochet
- FPedc: front post extended double crochet
- Fsc: foundation single crochet
- FO: fasten off
- Prev: previous
- Rem: remain(s)
- Rep: repeat
- RS: right side
- Sc: single crochet
- Sk: skip
- Sl st: slip stitch
- Sp: space(s)
- St(s): stitch(es)
- WS: wrong side
- YO: yarn over
SPECIAL STITCHES & TECHNIQUES
- CSDC: pull up a loop that is row height, holding loop in place and wrap yarn around hook (YO), insert hook in first st, YO, pull up a loop, [YO, pull through 2 loops] 2 times
- FPedc: YO, insert hook front to back to front around next st, YO and pull up a loop (3 loops on hook), YO, pull through 1 loop, [YO, pull through 2 loops] twice
- Join fdc in the round: For final fdc, YO and insert hook through foundation chain of last st made, YO and pull up loop (3 loops on hook), insert hook through foundation of first st (starting ch-3), YO and pull through two loops (3 loops on hook), [YO, pull through two loops] twice, sl st to 3rd ch to join
- Join fsc in the round: For final fsc, insert hook through foundation chain of last st made, yarn over and pull up loop (2 loops on hook), insert hook through foundation of first st (starting ch-2), yarn over and pull through two loops (2 loops on hook), yarn over, pull through two loops, sl st to first fsc
Need help with joining the Fdc in the round? Check out the video below.
- Pattern is written US terms.
- Read the entire pattern before beginning.
- The Lemon Peel Boot Cuffs are made in the round.
- The Twisted Ear Warmer is created in a möbius loop (in the round with one twist). Each round is worked along the top and then the bottom before joining.
- It helps to use a row counter to track completed rounds, or place a stitch marker in the first completed st of each round.
- Ch 1 does not count as a st.
- Instructions are given for one size, but the pattern can be adjusted to any size by measuring above the ankle or around the widest part of the calf. One must have an even number of stitches.
- To adjust the size of the ear warmer, make an even number of sts that can fit around the head while slightly stretched.
Grab the ad-free PDF from your favorite pattern shop.
Row 1: 42 fdc, sl st to join following instructions in Special Stitches & Techniques
Rnd 2 (RS): CSDC in first st, FPedc around next st, *dc in next st, FPedc around next st; rep from * around, sl st to join, turn – 21 dc, 21 FPedc
Rnd 3: Ch 1, sc in first st, dc in next st, *sc in next st, dc in next st; rep from * to end, sl st to join, turn – 42 sts
Rnds 4-17: Rep Row 3
Rnd 18: CSDC in first st, dc in each st, sl st to join, turn – 42
Rnd 19: Rep Row 2, FO
Weave in all ends.
Row 1: 67 fsc, twist one time, following instructions in Special Stitches & Techniques, make the last fsc and sl st to join, turn – 68 fsc
Need help with joining fsc in the round? Check out this video.
Note: Due to the twist in Row 1, each of the following rnds is worked along the top and bottom of the prev rnd.
Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc in first st, dc in next st, *sc in next st, dc in next st; rep from * to end, sl st to join, turn – 136 sts
Rows 3-7: Rep Row 2, FO
Weave in all ends.
Pin it for later
24 Days of Quickies with Marly Bird and Friends
I’m sooo excited to participate in this fun event again! Each day offers multiple crochet patterns and a knit pattern that can be made in a day! Yep, you can finish your list of gifts to make!
The PDF for the Peel Out Crochet Set is available for only 24 hours today, Sunday, December 12 from 9am ET until Monday, December 13th at 8:59am ET. Make sure you use the coupon code LEMONADE and then click the “Download from Ravelry” button to grab it.
Don’t forget to check out the other 2 patterns and enter today’s giveaway for a prize from Signature Needle Arts. Just click on the picture of Marly below.
Want to talk about yarn goodness, crochet tips, and exclusive weekly deals? Join my Facebook Group, Creations By Courtney Community.
Join my newsletter for sneak peeks, crochet tips, and more. HERE
Please use #CreationsByCourtney on social media when sharing your projects.
This pattern is not to be duplicated or resold, and not to be reproduced commercially. You may sell finished products on Etsy, at farmers markets, and craft fairs, but please credit Creations By Courtney as the pattern’s author.