The Crossing Into Winter set offers you a cowl, ear warmer and fingerless mitts made with a reversible cable. Add warmth and style with these layering pieces that can be worn together or separately.
The Crossing into Winter Set was inspired by the Treble Cross Stitch, which is much easier to make than it appears. It’s an easier way to create a cabled fabric to impress yourself and others.
I love a crochet accessory set that allows one to add some handmade style to an outfit while being practical, such as the Crossing into Winter Set.
I was only going to create the cowl, but I figured that an ear warmer would be a nice compliment, as I created the Making Waves Hat to be worn with the Making Waves Waistcoat. And what’s better than adding fingerless mitts to the set? Nothing, but more crochet patterns with the Treble Cross Stitch!
*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links to products that I use, and think you will enjoy using too. Should you decide to use any such link, I will earn a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting this small business.
Add to Ravelry Queue
- Patons Alpaca Blend (60% Acrylic, 22% Wool, 10% Nylon, 8% Alpaca: 155 yds/ 142 m: 3.5 oz/ 100 g) Iceberg, 3 (3, 3, 4) skeins
- US K-10.5 (6.50 mm) hook or size needed to meet gauge
- Yarn needle
- Measuring tape
12 pattern stitches = 4”, 5 pattern rows = 4”
- Children: 18 in. circumference x 2.25 in. tall
- Teen/Adult Small: 19.5 in. circumference x 3.75 in. tall
- Adult Large: 22 in. circumference x 3.75 in. tall
- Children: 6 in. circumference x 5 in. tall
- Teen/Adult Small: 7 in. circumference x 6 in. tall
- Adult Medium: 7.5 in. circumference x 7 in. tall
- Adult Large: 8.5 in. circumference x 7 in. tall
- Children: 26 in. circumference x 8 in. tall
- Teen: 30 in. circumference x 9.6 in. tall
- Adult: 33 in. circumference x 12.8 in. tall
- Ch: chain
- CSDC: chainless starting double crochet
- dc: double crochet
- dc2tog: double crochet 2 together
- FO: fasten off
- fsc: foundation single crochet
- LC: left leaning 2 over 2 treble cross
- RC: right leaning 2 over 2 treble cross
- rep: repeat
- sc: single crochet
- sc2tog: single crochet 2 together
- slst: slip stitch
- tr: treble
- YO: yarn over
SPECIAL STITCHES & TECHNIQUES
- CSDC – Chainless Starting Double Crochet: pull up a loop, YO (hold loop and twist), insert hook in first st, YO, pull up a loop, [YO, pull through 2 loops] twice.
- Fsc – Foundation single crochet: ch 2, insert hook in 2nd ch from hook, YO, pull up a loop, YO, pull through 1 loop (base ch made) (2 loops on hook), YO, pull through 2 loops (fsc made), *insert hook in base ch of last fsc made, YO, pull up a loop, YO, pull through 1 loop (base ch made) (2 loops on hook), YO, pull through 2 loops (fsc made).
- LC – Left leaning 2 over 2 treble cross: over the next 4 stitches, skip next 2 sts, tr in next 2 sts, working in front of sts just made, tr in each of skipped sts.
- RC: right leaning 2 over 2 treble cross – over the next 4 stitches, skip next 2 sts, tr in next 2 sts, working behind sts just made, tr in each of the skipped sts.
- Join in fsc: For final fsc, insert hook through base chain of last st made, YO and pull up loop (2 loops on hook), insert hook through foundation of first st (starting ch-2), YO and pull through two loops (2 loops on hook), YO, pull through two loops (final fsc made), slst to first fsc.
- Pattern is written US terms.
- Read the entire pattern before beginning.
- The Special Stitches, LC and RC, cover 4 stitches throughout the pattern. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the stitches before beginning.
- Picture tutorials are located at the end of the pattern.
- Sizes are written separately for clarity.
Grab the ad-free PDF that includes picture tutorials.
Pin it for Later
If we’re not hanging out on social media yet, come check me out on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.
Want to talk about yarn goodness, crochet tips, and exclusive weekly deals? Join my Facebook Group, Creations By Courtney Community.
Join my newsletter for sneak peeks, crochet tips, and more. HERE
Please use #CreationsByCourtney on social media when sharing your projects.
This pattern is not to be duplicated or resold, and not to be reproduced commercially. You may sell finished products on Etsy, at farmers markets, and craft fairs, but please credit Creations By Courtney as the pattern’s author.
Beautiful set! I can’t wait to try it out.
Thank you, Kathy! What color are you going to choose?
Everything I need in one set! Thanks for the beautiful patterns.
You’re so welcome, Tammy!
the set looks so warm and cozy! It’s getting cooler here… I might need to make these and get ready for an early winter!
This would be a great set for winter! It’s a fun texture to make, so 2 sets may be a good idea. *wink wink
What a lovely set — this would suit my daughter perfectly, possibly in a pretty green.
A green set would be gorgeous! I’m sure your daughter will love it!
I love this set, and hope to one day move to where I can wear it! I live in SoCal right now.
Oh boy! SoCal definitely is too warm for this set. Maybe there will be a trip to somewhere cold, and you can make the set for that trip.