Missing warmer weather?
The Sea of Summer Top was inspired by the returning trend of off-the-shoulder tops. There are so many different styles of off-the-shoulder tops and dresses with flower, lace and more. Some have sleeves, and others have ruffles upon ruffles.
I wanted to make a simple, stylish look that allows the color and yarn to take center, whether you wear it to a spring picnic or dinner with friends on a restaurant patio.
This will be one of your favorite tops to make in every color for all occasions, and relatively quick to make for a wearable item. It’s designed to be relaxed through the body and hips with very only a few decreases. It’s a forgiving shape to compliment the smallest frame through 5X!
I have included the measurements for sizes XS through 5X so if want a looser or tighter fit, pick a different size. But be sure to have enough yarn in one color or more.
- Rozetti Yarns Lumen (79% Cotton, 21% Viscose Rayon; 50g/1.75oz, 123 m/134 yards): 6, 7, 7, 9, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 balls or any comparable DK weight yarn; 2 -3 balls for ruffle in same or different color
- Hook US G+/ 4.5mm
- 4 stitch markers
- Yarn needle
- 16 hdc = 4” (10 cm) 13 rows = 4” (10 cm)
- X-Small: 34” bust x 17” length
- Small: 38” bust x 17” length
- Medium: 42” bust x 17” length
- Large: 46” bust x 18” length
- X-Large: 50” bust x 18” length
- 2X-Large: 54” bust x 18” length
- 3X-Large: 58” bust x 18” length
- 4X-Large: 62” bust x 18.5” length
- 5X-Large: 66” bust x 18.5” length
ch: chain, sc: single crochet, hdc: half double crochet, dc: double crochet, hdc2tog: half double crochet 2 together, sl st: slip stitch, st(s): stitch(es), fhdc: foundation half double crochet, PM: place marker, sk: skip, FO: Fasten off
Special Stitches & Techniques:
first-hdc: first half double crochet: in first st, single crochet (without ch-1), ch 1
first-dc: first double crochet: in first st, single crochet (without ch-1), ch 2
How to join Fdc in the round: For final fdc, yarn over and insert hook through foundation chain, yarn over and pull up loop (3 loops on hook), insert hook through foundation of first st (starting ch-3), yarn over and pull through two loops (3 loops on hook), [yarn over, pull through two loops] twice, sl st to 3rd ch to join
- Pattern is written in US terms
- Directions are for size X-Small, Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, 2X-Large, 3X-Large, 4X-Large and 5X-Large. Garment is made with 4” of positive ease.
- Each size is written separately for ease of following the pattern.
- The pattern is made in four parts: the body, the front, the back and then the ruffle.
- First-hdc can be replaced with ch 2, either method counts as hdc throughout pattern, unless otherwise noted. The first-hdc is recommended to make the seam less noticeable.
- The foundation half double crochet can be substituted by chaining the same number, slip stitching to create a ring, and then making the same number of half double crochet.
- The Ruffle measurements provided are recommendations, but can be adjusted by taking a string or piece of different yarn to wrap around your shoulders to get the best measurement and fit. First-dc is recommended to minimize seam on the ruffle.
- Two options for the ruffle are provided for Sizes X-Small through Large, and one option is offered for Sizes X-Large through 5X-Large. Either option can be used for any size, but the ruffle can become heavy for the largest sizes.
- Each size is written separately, and the ruffle is written for all sizes at bottom of pattern.