The Diamonds Hat was inspired by a front post extended double crochet and ZZ Twist.
What is a front post extended double crochet?
It’s much like a standard front post stitch, except there is an extra 2 steps. Just like any extended stitch, you make a chain with the first pull through (Yarn over, pull through 1 loop) and then proceed to make the stitch in the normal steps of yarn overs and pull through.
I learned the stitch while completing the Sparkle and Shine Tunic as part of A Year in Crochet 2019. It’s such a fun stitch that adds a little more length with out the bulk when compared to a standard front post double crochet. Another cool thing about this stitch is that you can use double crochet rather than half double crochet if the pattern uses more than just post stitches.
After perusing the aisles of my local Joann Fabrics Store, I picked up a skein of Lion Brand ZZ twist. It is the first main stream line specifically made for crocheters ?.
I was determined to come up with a one skein project because we always have one skein of some yarn and am unsure what to do with it.
The Diamonds Hat is a bit shorter in length that is great for still showing off your cute hairdo during the spring and summer months.
If you choose another worsted weight yarn, the hat will be longer in length. It’s an easy way to adjust the length.
- Lion Brand Yarns ZZ Twist, light medium weight #4 yarn (100% Acrylic; 246 yds/ 225 m per 3.5 oz/100 g skein): Peacock: 1 Skein
- Hook US J10 / 5.50 mm
- Notions: scissors, tape measure, yarn needle
- Rounds 1-4 = 4” diameter
- Child: fits up to 20” head x 6.5” height
- Adult Small: fits up to 22.5” x 7.25” height
- Adult Large: fits up to 24” x 8” height
- Ch: Chain, Sl St: Slip Stitch, Sc: single crochet, Dc: Double Crochet, CSDC: chainless starting double crochet, fpedc: front post extended double crochet, bpedc: back post extended double crochet, YO: yarn over, FO: Fasten Off, st(s): stitch(es)
SPECIAL STITCHES & TECHNIQUES
- Fpedc: YO, insert hook from front to back to front around post of stitch below, YO, pull up a loop, YO, pull through 1 loop (ch made), [YO, pull through 2 loops] twice
- Bpedc: YO, insert hook from back to front to back around post of stitch below, YO, pull up a loop, YO, pull through 1 loop (ch made), [YO, pull through 2 loops] twice
- CSDC: pull up a loop to the height of standard dc, twist yarn around hook (YO made), insert hook in first st, YO, pull up a loop, [YO, pull through 2 loops] twice
- Pattern is written in US terms.
- CSDC can be replaced with ch 3.
- First dc after a CSDC will be placed in the same st at the CSDC during the increasing rounds.
- The CSDC will be placed in the previous row CSDC for the center rows of the diamonds to keep the stitches lined up.
- Each hat size is written separately.
- Hat can be lengthened by adding extra rows of dc or sc at the bottom of the hat.
- Check gauge if using another worsted weight yarn, as ZZ twist is a light worsted weight.
Grab the ad-free PDF from your favorite pattern site
You make like these patterns too
PIN THIS PATTERN
Springtime Blog Hop
I’m excited to be today’s feature crochet pattern, March 18, 2021 as part of the Springtime Blog Hop hosted by Crochets by Trista. Make sure to grab the coupon code first to get the PDF for free. Check out all of the patterns by clicking on the Roundup button.
Want to talk about yarn goodness, crochet tips, and exclusive weekly deals? Join my Facebook Group, Creations By Courtney Community.
Join my newsletter for sneak peeks, crochet tips, and more. HERE
Use #CreationsByCourtney on social media when sharing your projects.
This pattern is not to be duplicated or resold, and not to be reproduced commercially. You may sell finished products on Etsy, at farmers markets, and craft fairs, but please credit Creations By Courtney as the pattern’s author.