Welcome to Creations By Courtney!
The Abrazo Ear Warmer is a quick, stash-busting crochet project that is the perfect winter accessory.
This is also a fun crochet project made with tunisian half double crochet stitches. I chose the tunisian half double crochet stitch because it creates a lovely subtle texture with extra yarn overs created during the forward pass. The return pass is also different than standard by pulling through 3 loops. With the extra yarn overs and pull throughs, a lovely texture is created of raised vertical bars that looks like stripes, and a second slanted vertical bar.
In wanting everyone to be stylish, multiple sizes are provided in the pattern from toddler to adult. By not adding the twist, it can be worn as a traditional ear warmer and made in neutral or masculine color to gift for anyone in the family.
I chose Lion Brand Scarfie from my stash to make the Abrazo Rayado Cocoon, and had one skein left to be used to make a lovely matching accessory.
Scarfie is considered a bulky weight yarn, but feels closer to a roving (un-plied) worsted weight yarn that has a lovely color transition. It’s soft and easy to work with, but it can be difficult to frog due to it’s loose twist.
There’s an array of color choices to make an Abrazo Ear Warmer to match your favorite winter gear. Or choose a comparable yarn in a solid color.
*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links to products that I use, and think you will enjoy using too. Should you decide to use any such link, I will earn a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting this small business.
- Lion Brand Scarfie, (78% acrylic, 22% wool; 312 yds/ 285m; 5.3 oz/ 150 g skein): 71 yds for largest size
- US L / 8.00 mm tunisian crochet hook
- Yarn needle
5 Thdc = 2 in. [5 cm], 5.5 rows = 2 in [5 cm]
- TODDLER: 17.5 in. long x 3.2 in. wide before seaming
- CHILD: 18.5 in. long x 3.2 in. wide before seaming
- TEEN 19.5 in. long x 3.8 in. wide before seaming
- ADULT: 20.75 in. long x 4.25 in. wide before seaming
- Ch: chain
- FO: fasten off
- FwP: forward pass
- M: stitch marker
- RetP: return pass
- RS: right side
- Sl st: slip stitch
- Sc: single crochet
- St(s): stitch(es)
- Sk: skip
- Thdc: tunisian half double stitch
- WS: wrong side
- YO: yarn over
SPECIAL STITCHES & TECHNIQUES
- Thdc foundation row: Make a ch with an even number of sts, YO, insert hook in back bump of 2nd ch from hook, pull up a loop, *[YO, pull up a loop in next st]; repeat from * to end
- All RetP: Ch 1, *(YO, pull through 3 loops); repeat from * to end
- Thdc next rows: Sk first 2 vertical bars, *YO, insert hook under next 2 vertical bars (the vertical bar on the left will be leaning back), YO, pull up a loop; repeat from * until last st, YO, insert hook under 2 loops of the end, YO, pull up a loop
- Find a tutorial HERE
- Pattern is written US terms.
- Read the entire pattern before beginning.
- Each row of Tunisian is written as the forward pass and return pass. These rows are never turned.
- The final st is always worked under two loops at the end of row.
- The final length can be adjusted by making fewer or more rows.
Ch 8 (8, 10, 12)
Row 1 FwP: YO, insert hook in 2nd ch from hook, YO, pull up a loop, *YO, insert hook in next ch, YO, pull up a loop; repeat from * to end – 15 (15, 19, 23) loops
Row 1 RetP: Ch 1, *(YO, pull through 3 loops); repeat from * to end – 8 (8, 10, 12) Thdc
Note: Follow instructions for Thdc next rows, and all RetP are the same.
Row 2 FwP: Thdc across – 15 (15, 19, 23) loops
Row 2 RetP: Ch 1, *(YO, pull through 3 loops); repeat from * to end – 8 (8, 10, 12) Thdc
Next Rows: Repeat Row 2 until piece measures 17.5 (18.5, 19.5, 20.75)” [approx. 45 (47, 50, 52 rows] or desired length
Note: Yarn amounts listed in pattern do not include any changes to the length or width.
Last Row: By working under the horizontal bars, sc to end – 7 (7, 9, 11) sc
- Fold piece in half with WS out so the foundation row and last row are lined up.
- Fold each end in half, and overlap the pieces. Sew through all pieces to seam.
- Flip ear warmer to RS out.
- Weave in all ends.
Pin it Now, Make it Later
Want to talk about yarn goodness, crochet tips, and exclusive weekly deals? Join my Facebook Group, Creations By Courtney Community.
Join my newsletter for sneak peeks, crochet tips, and more. HERE
Please use #CreationsByCourtney on social media when sharing your projects.
This pattern is not to be duplicated or resold, and not to be reproduced commercially. You may sell finished products on Etsy, at farmers markets, and craft fairs, but please credit Creations By Courtney as the pattern’s author.